[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 3/13/13

scrubjay323 at aol.com scrubjay323 at aol.com
Fri Mar 15 10:16:01 PDT 2013

26 of us enjoyed a productive, if wet, walk at Nisqually Wednesday morning and highlighted the difference a little time makes. We had a 14.2 high tide at 7:14 AM so we had lots of mud on the estuary board walk.

Highlights included the GREAT HORNED OWL family, the return of our GREAT EGRET, and a flyover by 10 TRUMPETER SWANS.

The SWANS flew over early in the walk as we scoped the pond across from the parking lot heading due north and the GREAT EGRET flew in from across the Nisqually River and was foraging along McAllister Creek when we got to the boardwalk.

The GREAT HORNED OWLS presented a case study of hide and seek. Eric left first to head back to the visitor center and his group spotted the 2 young and an adult. I was a little behind him and we found the other adult and watched it move around quite a bit. Shep brought up the rear after going tot he end of the boardwalk and his group spotted the adult and 2 young. All the sightings were in the same general area. At least we all added GREAT HORNED OWL to our trip list.

We also saw at least 2 EURASIAN WIGEON and 2 NORTHERN SHRIKE. Waterfowl are pairing up and engaging in pair bonding activities so spring is on the way. Passerine numbers are down as we await the spring migrants.

For the day we saw 46 species and I now have 81 species for the year with the GREAT EGRET and TRUMPETER SWANS being new for the year.

Mammals seen were MUSKRAT, EASTERN GRAY SQUIREL, COTTONTAIL RABBIT, and RACCOON.

Until next week when we survey the refuge....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at aol.com
Lacey, WA
360-970-6323