[Tweeters] yesterday at Magnuson Park

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Tue Mar 12 18:48:28 PDT 2013

from 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.

I went over to Magnuson Park, hoping to catch sight of the Short-eared Owl that has still been seen around the Kite Hill area, particularly north of the "fins". I never saw it (did earlier this winter), but someone (a non-birder) who came along said he had seen it on a couple of occasions - he also mentioned seeing a Barn Owl every so often and his description of the difference between the 2 owls, convinced me he had seen an SEOW.

Thinking that, despite not seeing the Short-eared, I'd had a good outdoor walk on a pleasantly mild afternoon, I prepared to head on home. Then I saw a Cooper's Hawk in a Kite Hill Tree - ah hah - was my luck changing? Sure enough, it did. The Cooper's (couldn't tell if it was an adult or juvenile) flew off the first tree and over to another large tree closer to the lake. Next, along came a Merlin and it chased after the Cooper's for about 30 seconds, driving the Cooper's into hiding in a cluster of trees - wonder if this was the same Merlin that some saw on Saturday, feasting on an American Robin in a tree in the park?

That was not quite the end of my raptorful afternoon. As I approached my car, crows were mobbing a Red-tailed Hawk, which they ended up driving into the woods to the west of the Kite Hill parking lot, and where I lost sight of it.

A nice outing, indeed !

Barb Deihl

North Matthews Beach - NE Seattle

barbdeihl at comcast.net