[Tweeters] Weekend report: N Shrikes at Nisqually and Merlin at Discovery Park

Warren Clemans wumpusbear at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 11:20:17 PDT 2013

My daughter and I spent a few hours Saturday morning at Nisqually NWR.
Despite the fog, we managed some good birds. We saw (not just heard) a
Virginia Rail on the Twin Barns loop just before the barns, going clockwise
from the parking lot. Thanks to the friendly folks who pointed it out to
us. About 5 minutes later we saw a Northern Shrike perched on a low tree.
We either saw several individuals, or the same individual several times, in
the course of the next 20 minutes or so. A couple of misty photos here:
http://flic.kr/p/e2jGjS and here: http://flic.kr/p/e2e5ve.

Yesterday at Discovery Park in Seattle we saw a flock of perhaps 20 Cedar
Waxwings near the ponds to the West of the treatment plant (north of the
lighthouse), along with a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet. We were also delighted to
see a Merlin perched on a tree near the trail to the beach, at the SE
corner of the treatment plant. It took off and flew fast at a passing gull,
then veered off at the last minute.

Happy birding,
Warren
Seattle