[Tweeters] Northern Pygmy-Owl Yard Visit

johntubbs at comcast.net johntubbs at comcast.net
Sun Mar 10 10:11:38 PDT 2013

Hi folks,

I had a nice surprise when I finished my early-morning walk with the pooch this morning.  As I got close to our house, I saw and heard a group of about six juncos behaving in an agitated manner near a tree in our front yard.  The reason quickly became apparent as a Northern Pygmy-Owl was resting close to the trunk, apparently not too concerned about the juncos, who despite their vocal histrionics were wisely keeping a respectful and discreet  distance.  This is only the third time in ten years here that we've had a visit by this species - the previous ones were 2008 and 2010.  This was the first spring visit, the other two being in September and December, respectively.  There is good habitat for this species pretty  close by, so it's not a totally surprising visit I suppose - no doubt the regular visitors to our feeders are one of the reasons the owl decided to check things out .

John Tubbs

Snoqualmie, WA

johntubbs AT comcast dot NET