[Tweeters] Boundary Bay and George C. Reifel Sanctuary

kelsberg at u.washington.edu kelsberg at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 8 12:46:39 PST 2013

On Sunday, Amy Schumann and I led a Seattle Audubon field trip with 16 friendly and fun attendees to Boundary Bay and George C. Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary. The day was clear, cool, and sunny. Highlights included 8 Snowy Owls near the 64th Street access to the dike, half on the building roof and half on the driftwood logs. A pair of Common Ravens landed and pecked at one owl, removing a few feathers, until it flew over to the building site. There were perhaps 200 Bald Eagles, many soaring in large groups a few hundred feet overhead.
At Reifel, it was almost like a petting zoo with most birds in plain sight and very close (we didn't touch any birds but certainly could have). Highlights included: Sandhill Cranes, Black-crowned Night-herons, Hooded Mergansers, Northern Saw-whet Owls, maybe 200 Great Blue Herons, a similar number of Trumpeter Swans, a few thousand Lesser Snow Geese, and many ducks underfoot (some very nice looks at Wood Ducks and Northern Pintails from 2 feet away). Slightly less common: Evening Grosbeak and Tree Swallows. We had 44 species for the day. The border crossing wasn't bad at all, and they were helpful and polite.

Gary Kelsberg
Seattle
kelsberg at u dot washington dot edu