[Tweeters] Rough-legged Hawk??

Blake Wilkerson casper4x4 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 2 14:51:50 PST 2013

Need help with identification verification again please. Wife and I saw a Red-tailed Hawk sized bird in a tree branch over a field. When I got my scope set up, we could see it wasn't a Red-tailed Hawk.
It had a white and brown streaked head and neck with more reddish brown streaks mixed in toward the shoulders an chest. The belly and wings where dark brown. The tail was light except for a single dark band near the tip of the tail. When it flew out over the field it looked for all the world like the picture of an immature Rough-legged Hawk at the bottom of page 193 in Peterson's "Western Birds".
Here's a few bad photos but the best I could do with the equipment I have.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/Peapod1313/Birds/IMG_20130302_140841.jpg
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/Peapod1313/Birds/IMG_20130302_140845.jpg
Blake and Janelle Wilkerson
Tumwater, WA