[Tweeters] Cooper's display flight - LHG Bellevue

Pterodroma at aol.com Pterodroma at aol.com
Sat Mar 2 13:43:45 PST 2013

More Spring was in the air this morning in the Lake Hills Greenbelt (LHG),
Bellevue. The LHG resident male Cooper's Hawk was seen out and about
flying slow arcing circles over the vicinity of last year's nest site atop a
broken-topped hemlock (hemlock I think) at about 8:30am. Not real high but
still above the canopy of the nice woodsy dark deep forest mostly
hemlock/cedar grove between Lake Hills Blvd and SE 16th St. Just a patch, but a
nice patch for added diversity to the greenbelt. Flight reminds me of a
Northern Harrier, or better still, a Common Nighthawk. Slow deliberate and
rhythmic wing beats with emphasis on the upbeat at it's peak quite high above
the body plane. I do hear them calling in there from time to time but today
was silent. The display flight lasted for about 90 seconds then ended
when a crow intervened and broke up the hopeful amorous interlude.

No Redpolls btw, and no Saw-whet Owl either during a quick 20-min stop-by
check (Phantom Lake parking lot) at 4:15am just targeting that, but the
Robins were already starting to chirp at that early dark hour, so maybe I was
too late, or maybe it just simply wasn't there or anywhere nearby.

Richard Rowlett
Bellevue (Eastgate), WA