[Tweeters] Cooper's Hawk vocalizing in Ravenna Park, Seattle

Kevin Moore brambleshire at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 2 10:37:13 PST 2013

Between 9:10 - 9:50 AM today in the western portion of Ravenna Park, in the U District of Seattle, there was an adult male COOPER'S HAWK perched on a branch hanging over the creek and "singing". I believe I heard another in the distance, and the hawk flew away in that direction. Then he came back, and later flew away again. I didn't stay because I only had time for a quick stroll this morning, so he might still be there. I got the feeling his intention was to stick around. My ID is based on the recording on the Cornell website (http://allaboutbirds.org/guide/coopers_hawk/id). It sounded exactly like that. It didn't sound like Cornell's recording of the sharp-shinned. Also, I was lucky enough to observe an Anna's hummingbird bathing in a little rivulet of the creek, and then possibly the same hummingbird a few minutes later plucking moss from a tree. All new experiences for me! Kevin MooreSeattle, WA