[Tweeters] Wahkiakum County smelt run

Andrew Emlen aemlen at centurytel.net
Sat Mar 2 09:34:10 PST 2013

I went down to Skamokawa Vista Park and Steamboat Slough Road this morning, because the smelt are running. Wahkiakum County is usually relatively gull-poor, but thousands of them are out on the Columbia here now. Despite the heavy fog, I easily found seven species of gull; Thayer's, California, Herring, Western, Glaucous-winged, Ring-billed, and Mew. Once the fog clears I'll check for any rarities. There were also plenty of Bald Eagles, Common Mergansers, dozens of California Sea Lions (conservatively, 70) and Harbor Seals catching smelt as well. As a bonus, there was a Red-shouldered Hawk calling near the west barricades of Steamboat Slough Road.
-Andrew