[Tweeters] Seattle Audubon trip to Whidbey Island 1 March 2013

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Fri Mar 1 19:59:39 PST 2013

Hi Tweets

A group from Seattle Audubon took a trip to Whidbey Island today. We had some scattered light showers on the way up to the north end of the island, but they pretty well cleared by the turnoff to Stanwood. As we made the turn to go off the north end of Fir Island we saw a field with lots of SNOW GEESE. There were probably at least 3000 of them and a few swans. We made a stop at the feeders on Valentine Rd. and the wind was starting to pick up. We saw several PINE SISKINs, a RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH and heard a lot of birds including RED CROSSBILLs, HOUSE FINCH. One of the Poplar trees had two nice HAIRY WOODPECKERs. Most of the birds were in hiding, even though we could hear them. Around on Dodge Valley Rd we got a nice study of TRUMPETER and TUNDRA SWANs.

At Rosario Beach we saw COMMON LOON, HARLEQUIN DUCK, COMMON GOLDENEYE, HORNED GREBE, BELTED KINGFISHER, BLACK OYSTERCATCHER, PIGEON GUILLEMOT, BALD EAGLE, DOUBLE-CRESTED and PELAGIC CORMORANT, CANADA GOOSE, another two Hairy Woodpeckers, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET and PACIFIC WREN.

We stopped at Dugualla Bay and the lake had MALLARD, GADWALL, CANVASBACK, GREATER SCAUP, AMERICAN WIGEON, EURASIAN WIGEON, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, NORTHERN PINTAIL, RING-NECKED DUCK and HOODED MERGANSER.

We stopped at the Oak Harbor Marina, but there were no Turnstones present. By now the wind was up to a constant 20 mph and Bos Lake was covered in waves with few waterfowl. The Strait had BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, a PELAGIC CORMORANT, a single MEW GULL, and lots of SURF SCOTERs and GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLs. Hastie Lake Rd. had more goldeneye and bufflehead. Libby Beach has similar birds. There was lots of swell and whitecaps.

We scanned the mussel rafts and picked up BLACK TURNSTONEs. A WESTERN GULL was on the raft. At the treatment plant in Coupeville we saw BARROW'S GOLDENEYE. At the parking lot near the ferry terminal the old platform had DOUBLE-CRESTED, PELAGIC and BRANDT'S CORMORANTs (we had to look from inside the cars because of the wind gusts almost blowing us over).

Down at Deer Lagoon the tide was out and lots of mud was exposed, but the only birds present were a couple of NORTHERN SHOVELERs.

Along the way we saw RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, PIED-BILLED GREBE, RED-NECKED GREBE, NORTHERN HARRIER, RED-TAILED HAWK, AMERICAN COOT, ROCK PIGEON, DOWNY WOODPECKER, AMERICAN CROW, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, AMERICAN ROBIN, SONG SPARROW, DARK-EYED JUNCO, RED-WINGED and BREWER'S BLACKBIRDs.

It was a good day in spite of the very strong wind keeping the birds down. We wound up with 61 species.

Brian H. Bell
Woodinville Wa
mail to bell asoc at iso media dot com