[Tweeters] Play with your food.

Louise Rutter louise.rutter at eelpi.gotdns.org
Sun Jun 30 09:52:55 PDT 2013

I saw a great blue heron (white variant) apparently playing with a fish down
in the Florida keys. The heron was at the edge of the mangroves along a
creek, and it caught and released that fish five times that I saw. Each
time, it carefully placed the fish in the shallow water at the very edge of
the creek, watched it thrash around only barely submerged for five seconds
or so, and then speared it again.

Was it enjoying fishing, or was it waiting for its dinner to stop wriggling
quite so much before it swallowed it? The fish was obviously injured and
getting weaker each time. But I've seen herons eat some very wriggly food in
the past, it doesn't seem to stop them!

Louise