[Tweeters] Herring Gull at Lake Osoyoos?

Andy Stepniewski steppie at nwinfo.net
Tue Jun 25 21:55:52 PDT 2013

Tweeters,

On my Sunday 23 June WOS trip at Lake Osoyoos, I called out several immature
Herring Gulls and reported these to eBird. This report was flagged as there
are few or no June records of Herring Gulls in the Columbia Basin. Brad
Waggoner, an eBird reviewer, led me to Plate 24.21 in Gulls of the Americas
(Dunn and Garrett). This photo shows a 2nd-cycle California side-by-side
with a Herring. I see now the birds at Lake Osoyoos was a California. Thanks
Brad for this instructive gull tutorial.

We lost a species on our Okanogan Highlands trip list, down to 124.
Regardless, we still experienced what the Okanogan in the breeding season is
all about: diversity!

Andy Stepniewski
Wapato WA
steppie at nwinfo.net