[Tweeters] Cancun Frigatebirds

Nathaniel Peters ncpeters at uw.edu
Mon Jun 24 10:59:59 PDT 2013

Hey Tweets,

I just got back from a week-long Developmental Biology conference in
Cancun, Mexico. While the birding for the most part wasn't nearly as
spectacular as the diving (mostly grackles and brown pelicans), there were
always several Magnificent Frigatebirds effortlessly soaring around resort.
It was very relaxing to watch.....

It struck me that from what I could tell, all the birds had white throats,
which would make them females. Is this correct? Isn't there strong
dimorphism between males and females in this species? One day, when the
wind was particularly strong, I looked up to see a total of 65 birds in a
single, widely-dispersed mass, and there was not a single
non-white-throated individual. Having only ever seen solitary individuals
or small numbers of Frigatebirds, this was a really nice surprise!

-Nathaniel Peters
ncpeters at uw.edu