[Tweeters] Spruce grouse - silver creek road, ferry county.

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 21 20:49:20 PDT 2013

Hi tweets!

I took today to bird Ferry County before the WOS Conference in Omak, and turned up some good birds! Took the Keller ferry (which will be replaced after 86 years next month) and had some Lincoln County Cliff Swallows migrate over to Ferry County as they followed the boat. Swawilla basin was full of Sparrows, including Lark, Vesper, Brewers, Grasshopper and Savannah.

Silver creek road, running from Keller to Inchelium over a windy gravel mountain pass, had some great birds, including life looks at Dusky Grouse and a northern Goshawk, and my first Spruce Grouse. It seemed kind of low (2600 feet) and I had not heard of previous records there, but it was well seen, heard and photographed! The bird was standing in the road between the turnoff a for Friedlander Meadows and the Whitehorn Lookout. At the latter location I encountered a Dusky Grouse on the trail!

A few birds here and there at different stops. Finished the day at the Republic STP, and found only Mallards Wood Ducks and Canada Geese.

Lovely day, and I'm looking forward to the trips!

Tim Brennan
Renton