[Tweeters] Sapsucker Nests

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 14:25:43 PDT 2013

Dear David and Tweeters,

I found a Red-breasted Sapsucker nest this past Saturday, 17 June 2013, at the Marblemount Boat Launch. The nest is near the bend in the trail, just before the right fork goes to a bench, and the left goes along the main route. Right now, it's hard to miss, what with the young constantly crying for food, and the adults coming every few minutes. I can't say anything about the effects of "honkin' big lenses" being pointed at them for extended periods, but the sapsucker nests I've visited repeatedly over the years never showed any deleterious effects that I could detect.

I suspect that a walk in the woods anywhere in the Upper Skagit this time of year would yield several of theses nests. At other times of year, the sapsuckers can be quiet, but they're easy now. On the other hand, it's been over a month since I've detected a Downy Woodpecker, for some odd reason.

Yours truly,

Gary Bletsch

Near Lyman, Washington (Skagit County), USA

garybletsch at yahoo.com

"Nun," sagte ich, "wenn ich ein Taugenichts bin, so ist's gut, so will ich in die Welt gehen, und mein Glueck machen." Und eigentlich war mir das recht lieb, denn es war mir kurz vorher selber eingefallen, auf Reisen zu gehen, da ich die Goldammer, welche im Herbst und Winter immer betruebt an unserm Fenster sang: "Bauer, miet' mich, Bauer, miet' mich!" nun in der schoenen Fruehlingszeit wieder ganz stolz und lustig vom Baume rufen hoerte: "Bauer, behalt' deinen Dienst!"