[Tweeters] Wilson Creek mostly

wheelermombi at comcast.net wheelermombi at comcast.net
Sun Jun 16 10:11:25 PDT 2013

Good morning Tweeters,

Dave and Sherry Hayden, Gary Wiles, and I birded in the Wilson Creek area on Saturday. We spotted a little over 80 species in all, finding many of our target birds plus a few surprises. Here's a rundown:

Miscellaneous in the general vicinity prior to arriving at Wilson Creek: Redhead, Green-winged Teal, Gadwall, Bufflehead, Northern Shoveler, Avocet, Black-necked Stilt (seen at several wetland stops), White Pelican, Lark Sparrow, Brewer's Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Sage Thrasher, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Marsh Wren, Rock Wren, Great Egret

Kannawai Rd: Barn Owl (in a cavity on the cliffs), Loggerhead Shrike, American Coot, Grasshopper Sparrow (remained in the open singing for several minutes)

23 RD NE near the lake/marsh: Spotted Sandpiper, Blue-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Ruddy Duck, Lazuli Bunting

22 RD NE: Bald Eagle, Pied-billed Grebe, A. Bittern, A. Wigeon, Common Yellowthroat, Prairie Falcon, Northern Harrier (no Tri-colored Blackbirds)

Soap Lake: A colony of Bank Swallows, White-throated Swifts, approximately 50 breeding plumage Eared Grebes (the most that I had ever seen in one location and very unexpected)

Lake Lenore: Several more Eared Grebes, but mostly paired off, unlike at Soap Lake, 14 Common Goldeneye, including 7 chicks

Miscellaneous: Horned Lark, Mt. Bluebird, lots of Western Kingbirds, Eastern Kingbird, Western Wood-Pewee, Say's Phoebe, Evening Grosbeak, Red-winged Crossbills, A. Kestril, Swainson's Hawk, Red-tailed Hawk, Osprey, Ring-necked Pheasant, Black-headed Grosbeak, Cedar Waxwing, Western Meadowlark, California Quail, Common Nighthawk, Bullock's Oriole, and a family of Burrowing Owls with at least 4 very small chicks (at an undisclosed location on the way to Wilson Creek), plus many of the usual suspects.

Good birding,

Lonnie Somer
Kent
wheelermombi at comcast.net