[Tweeters] FW: eBird Report - Lake Sammamish State Park, Jun 11, 2013

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 11 16:59:16 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,

Here's my report of our monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park for those who wish to follow what's being seen at this park:

It was a thrill to pull into Lake Sam's parking lot this morning and see at least 8 BLACK SWIFTS, several VAUX'S SWIFTS and swallows bug catching directly overhead! Stan and I birded with 20 others at Eastside Audubon's monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park on June 11, 2013, from 8 am to noon. Weather-wise, it was mostly sunny with partial clouds, 10-12 mph winds and temps in the mid to high 50s. HIGHLIGHTS: 2 of the 3 escaped SWAN GEESE are still there; 1 male CINNAMON TEAL was hanging with the Mallards on the sandy bank (thanks Ollie!); 1 OSPREY; 1 COOPER'S HAWK; 4 BALD EAGLES of various ages; at least 4 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS; at least 12 BAND-TAILED PIGEONS; 8 BLACK SWIFT; 4 VAUX'S SWIFT; 1 ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD; 4 RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS; 2 BELTED KINGFISHERS; 4 RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS; 8 WESTERN WOOD-PEWEES; 10 WILLOW FLYCATCHERS; 1 PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCACTHER; 8 WARBLING VIREOS; a 5 SWALLOW morning (no Bank); 20 SWAINSON'S THRUSHES; 8 BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS; 1 LAZULI BUNTING (thanks Sara!); 6 BULLOCK'S ORIOLES; and 4 PURPLE FINCHES. 53 species for the day; 105 for the year. The next bird walk is JULY 23. No pre-registration, just show up depending on your mood or the weather. Since this is a state park, a Discover Pass is necessary to park ($10 daily, $30 annual). We meet in the large parking lot to the left just inside the main park entrance (not the boat launch entrance).

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14398912

Sharon Aagaard
Bellevue WA
scormieraa001 at hotmail.com