[Tweeters] Bank Swallows near Rainier / Nisqually NWR highlights (June 10) / Hoquiam STP

Paul Hicks phicks at accessgrace.org
Tue Jun 11 10:20:49 PDT 2013

Tweets, Monday afternoon I checked the county gravel pit near Rainier and
again found nesting Bank Swallows, 1 pair if not more. Present were N
Rough-winged, Cliff, Barn, Tree, and V-g. The pit is located near 300
133rd, accessed by going north from Rainier on Center St, first left past
the RR tracks. The nest cavities are in the SE section of the pit, viewable
from the bar gate. The pit (but not the nest sites) can be viewed from the
chain-link fence along the E perimeter. E of here is a birdy mix of oak,
fir, and broom.
Midday I visited Nisqually NWR. Highlights (most reported by Eric Slagle
last week): Red-eyed Vireo (across from Ed Cntr/orchard), Bullock's Oriole
(near the barns), Yellow-headed Blackbird (from barns overlook straight out
toward ridge to the W), and Blue-winged Teal, and a pair each of Ruddy and
Ring-necked Duck (dike trail). 79 species for the day.
Saturday evening a Semipalmated Plover pair was present at Hoquiam STP,
along with numerous Western Sandpiper, Bonaparte's Gull, Lesser Scaup, N
Pintail and a single male Green-winged Teal.
Good birding!
Paul Hicks / Tenino, s. Thurston Co / phicks AT accessgrace DOT org