[Tweeters] A couple Lewis county weekend birds and a personal listing record achieved

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 9 19:33:11 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters -

In the realm of listing, one of the fun games is to make up goals. Well, this weekend, I made it to one of those -- With a little luck in Lewis County, I reached 175 species in each of the state's 39 counties. To my knowledge, I'm the 5th person to reach this goal. Amazingly, #3 and #4 came in just last weekend, when Rick & Tina Taylor finished off the same goal while out in the northeast corner. Ken Knittle & Tom Mansfield are the other two who have made it to the 175x39 mark, pushing county listing across the state to all new obsessive levels.....

Last birds? Saturday morning, I spent a long time at the Peters Rd marsh outside Randle -- an American Bittern that had been vocalizing in response to my playback finally appeared for #174. [Peters Rd, just south off US 12, is a great place for Sora, Virginia Rail, Wilson's Snipe, Bank Swallow [and 5 other swallow species], and a number of breeding ducks]. The morning turned into the afternoon as I wandered around looking for one more. Finally, along Swofford Rd. outside Mossyrock I heard, then tracked down Red-eyed Vireo for #175.

Today [Sunday], freed from Lewis County, I birded over in eastern WA -- in the morning I finally tracked down the long-present "Interior" Bushtits along Powerline Road outside Moses Lake [a state lifer subspecies for me] -- I didn't have any luck with Ibis [or Grackle] at Potholes State Park. Then, at Columbia NWR I dipped on Snowy Egret -- over a dozen Great Egrets, along with American Bittern & Black-crowned Night-Heron were good substitutes though.

Good listing!

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA