[Tweeters] Whidbey Island

Paul Webster paul.webster at comcast.net
Thu Jun 6 11:37:59 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,

Steve Dang, Barbara, and I made another in our continuing series of trips
to Whidbey Island yesterday. Clear weather with temps up to 68 degrees, a
few lingering species of waterfowl, and lots of spring arrivals helped us
log 93 species, our best day's record on the island so far. Some of the
highlights were a band of 8 lingering PACIFIC LOONS and 2 WESTERN GREBES
offshore at Dave Mackie Park, a lone WHIMBREL at Sunlight Beach, and 3
displaying AMERICAN BITTERNS at the Ewing Road Marsh, but the biggest
surprise was a visiting EASTERN KINGBIRD at a neighborhood bog not far from
Clinton.

Our strategy was to walk a few strategically-located neighborhoods early
to find as many permanent and summer-resident species as possible near
Clinton before driving across the island to other sites. We did well with
alcids, woodpeckers, flycatchers, and wrens, but missed some species we had
expected: Band-tailed Pigeon, Hutton's Vireo, Northern Rough-winged
Swallow, Townsend's Warbler, Western Tanager, Purple Finch, and Red
Crossbill, all of which we needed to reach our goal of 100 species. Once
again we had great navigation (and home-baked scones!) from Steve, and
great spotting from my sharp-eyed wife. It was a great day of birding in a
beautiful place!

Good birding!

Paul Webster

Seattle