[Tweeters] Nesting red breasted sapsuckers in Edmonds

lized01 at comcast.net lized01 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 6 07:40:14 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets: My sharp-eyed husband found a pair of nesting RED BREASTED SAPSUCKERS keeping house on school property near our home in Edmonds. This is the first time I have seen sapsuckers here in the city. Last night we watched both parents visiting sap wells in a nearby birch tree, and we can hear the babies when the parents return to the nesting hole. How exciting to see these beautiful birds here, in a neighborhood within blocks of Highway 99! Thankfully, the nest is high in an alder snag, in a very quiet, protected area where the parents are unlikely to be hit by cars or displaced by human activity.

If you are interested in seeing the sapsuckers, message me and I will email you directions. Best, Liz Brown