[Tweeters] Fill House Wren!

Connie Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 09:08:22 PDT 2013

Hey tweets, a HOUSE WREN was singing for all he was worth at the top of an oak tree this morning. The oak tree is on the west end of the little orchard immediately behind the CUH building (south side), to the east of the Wedding Rock area. What a great bird for the Fill!

Also on view today: a pair of BAND-TAILED PIGEONS appeared to be checking out the west side of Sidles Swamp for nest possibilities. I hope they find something worthwhile there.

The Lazuli Buntings quit singing as of yesterday, so I don't know if they got busy with nesting or if they just decided to take their show elsewhere. They have nested at the Fill in years past, but certainly not regularly.

Finally, a Virginia Rail walked the plank by the Turtle Logs this morning, almost tip-toeing along the wooden pathway. Any day you see a rail out in the open is a good day in my book.

This west-flowing hot air from the foothills produces amazing light and stillness, my very favorite conditions for birding, if you can stand the bugs. Whenever I get especially bug-bitten (as now!) I tell myself that bugs are the magnets that bring the birds. I only wish more insects were vegans. - Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com
www.constancypress.com