[Tweeters] Whidbey Island Song Sparrow Singing a Chickadee Song

Leah Morris leahmo at comcast.net
Wed Jul 31 19:39:58 PDT 2013

While camping this week at Deception Pass, on Whidbey Island, there was a
song sparrow that had its home in the shrubbery at our campsite. Not long
after settling in, we heard what sounded almost exactly like a chickadee
song, but we soon figured out that the song was coming from the song
sparrow! This happened several times over the course of our several-day
stay, and we actually did see with our own eyes that this "chickadee song"
was truly coming from the mouth of the song sparrow. Maybe it was trying to
attract more birds (e.g., chickadees) to accompany it on its foraging
excursions?

I'm curious--have any of you Tweeters ever witnessed anything like this,
particularly from a song sparrow?

Leah Morris
Kirkland, WA