[Tweeters] Rufous Hummingbirds

creinsch at humbirds.org creinsch at humbirds.org
Wed Jul 31 14:46:05 PDT 2013

David:

Thank you for posting this. Questions about missing hummers come up every year here and on other birding sites, and it is good to hear from someone that has observational history of more than a few years. We have only been luring hummingbirds to our yard since 2002, but have, every year, had Rufous in addition to resident and ranging Anna's. We see almost exclusively immature Rufous late in the season, but have on a couple of years had an adult visit for up to a week in April. Rufous do not linger with us however - they have business elsewhere.

I wonder if the combination of hummers' tendency to revisit known grazing sites and their relatively short lives might account for people watching their feeders to perceive occasional decreases in attendance. Hatch year hummers not having yet identified sites to revisit may range wider and wander into urban gardens, but a plentiful source of food in the coastal flight path might discourage urban exploration.

One other comment, the Rufous we have observed are little jets compared to the lumbering stogy Anna's. They can out fly and out maneuver the Anna's, and are relentless in returning to a food source they crave. (crave?)

chuck reinsch
magnolia, seattle, wa