[Tweeters] Off-topic, mostly: Seattle wasp species that build paper nests

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Wed Jul 31 12:33:41 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters,

I'll start with a birding observation for legitimacy: I have seen several Rufous Hummingbirds near Lincoln Park in West Seattle this year, both in the park and, more commonly, at my feeders and on my yard flowers. There don't seem to be as many as in previous years, unfortunately.

There is a beautiful football-sized paper-wasp nest near my house—characteristic of nests built by bald-faced hornets. However, these wasps don't look like that species; these are narrow-bodied with many thin yellow segments in the abdomen (photos at flickr.com/photos/trileigh). Does anyone know what other Seattle wasp species build such nests?

Thanks as always,
Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker
Lincoln Park, West Seattle
Natural history website: naturalpresence.wordpress.com
Flickr page: flickr.com/photos/trileigh