[Tweeters] 4 Hummer sp. in yard

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Tue Jul 30 21:03:58 PDT 2013

Hello all,
A few hours ago I was out watering our garden when I heard an Anna's Hummer - but it stayed in the top of our Mulberry tree until this evening when Mike and I were able to observe it sitting and chasing the other hummers around - appears to be a young male and VERY aggressive.
We have Black-chinned's that nest in the area (College Place), Calliope even in June and the Rufous show up the middle of July and usually a female Rufous is at the top of the pecking order but this Anna's definitely took that spot this evening. All of these hummers fight continuously over the Blue Salvia - their very favorite of all the hummer plants in our yard.
Our Anna's sighting is joining several other eastside birds observed this summer - friends up Biscuit Ridge had at least one and possibly a pair visiting their feeders all of June and into July. Back in 2005 one was at Tom Lamb's Memorial Day weekend - maybe they have been up in the foothills and unobserved. TriCities has had several this summer. And WWCo. had at least 11 different birds this last winter.

All I can say is Anna's Hummers must LIKE the hot weather!
Later, ML