[Tweeters] Woodpeckers and Hummers / Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Mon Jul 29 18:44:50 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters -

While working in the garden today had both a Hairy and Downy hanging out together - is this typical behavior? It was nice to actually see them both at the
same time to actually confirm the size difference. The Hairy was quite relaxed with us doing our work right near him.

Also had a Rufous hummer come and sit for about a minute in a hardy fuchsia.

We have a resident male Anna's (not sure now if it's a new one) and it has the funniest sound when it "hums". It's like a buzz bomb or one of those wind up
rubberband toys. Not the usual whirring. Wish I could record it. Is this due to a missing feather or a "defect"? Would love to know if it's just his own sound. Have never heard
one sound like this. Is this common?

Also have been enjoying the robins coming down while we dig - wondering if they might be familiar with this work's sound and know the rewards from it. I actually picked up a worm or two and threw them over to a robin watching from the fence and as soon as they hit the ground, she went down to snatch them up.

Time for some human grub...

Caryn / Wedgwood