[Tweeters] Exciting encounter with a Rufous Hummingbird

Hank Karen karenhank at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 14:14:15 PDT 2013

Today I was watering a bush in our yard using a narrow, low-pressure, pencil-like stream of water.  There were no blooms near me.  A Rufous Hummingbird showed up and hovered in front of me and appeared to be checking me out.  I stood still wondering why it was there.  Previously when I have had this experience, there was some brightly colored flower or object nearby.  Soon the hummingbird moved to within a couple of inches of the stream of water.  Then three times it dipped into the water and took a drink.  Each dip lasted 3 seconds or so.  Very exciting!

Hank Heiberg
Lake Joy
Carnation, WA
karenhankatyahoodotcom