[Tweeters] Barred Owl Removal in BC

Hope Anderson hopea1994 at aol.com
Mon Jul 29 10:55:17 PDT 2013

I am a National Park Service ranger at North Cascades National Park and an intermediate birder. The only owls I have heard or seen IN the park have been barred owls. We had a brood last year at Colonial Creek Campground, right in the middle of the camp, so they clearly don't mind humans. This year I heard some juveniles screeching along highway 20 near Marblemount, it sounded like 3 or 4 of them. I do an interpretive talk in front of our visitor center about owls and have been discussing this Barred/Spotted owl issue for the past 2 summers. One thing I learned during research and haven't heard anyone mention in this discussion is that British Columbia already did experiments with barred owl removal in spotted owl areas. Has anyone tried to find out what their results were? Perhaps their methods were not scientific enough but it makes sense to see if they had any luck with their efforts before trying the same thing here. I don't see how we can keep barred owls out forever, but I would also LOVE to see a spotted owl so I'm conflicted on this matter. Maybe we need to just remove the ones who move into historic spotted owl nesting areas? I don't have the answer for this one.

On a totally different topic, I have been seeing crows and black headed grosbeaks collecting what appears to be nesting material over the past 2 weeks and have read similar observations on here involving bald eagles and other birds. I'm also confused by this and wonder if anyone has any insight?