[Tweeters] Wahkiakum: Red-shouldered Hawk

Russ Koppendrayer russkope at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 19:59:17 PDT 2013

Hi Tweeters,

About 1 PM today (7/28/13) I found myself looking at an adult
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK perched on a telephone pole along Brooks Slough Road in
the Julia Butler Hansen NWR. I had a close and prolonged study before I
drove past and it flew. While this is an expected species at the NWR in the
winter, this is my first experience with them in summer in WA. I vaguely
recall a Clark County summer record or two and there may be others, but I
was pleasantly surprised.

I was unable to relocate the Western Bluebirds along Beaver Creek Road that
were reported by the Websters, but I did find 2 HOUSE WRENS at MP 6.2 and a
HERMIT WARBLER at MP 5 as nice consolations.

Russ Koppendrayer
Longview, WA
russkope at gmail dot com