[Tweeters] Re: Barred Owl Kill-off (proposed plan)

Bill Anderson billandersonbic at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 27 14:51:01 PDT 2013

Cindy Ashy wrote --->Also, one more point... in an interview on NPR, someone (can't remember name) from FWS kept calling the culling of the Barred Owls in the three chosen spots an "experiment".... talked about how they would follow the Spotted Owls to see how they'd respond to the culling of their competitor... I was listening for and heard nothing about them using controls... and why these three sites were selected, and if the control sites exist (I'm betting they don't), how were they selected and how do they compare to the areas where the owls will be culled.... I'm bringing this up because I see real potential for some erroneous conclusions to be drawn unless these details are brought to the forefront now and kept there. An "experiment" is only as good as its design.... and to call this an actual "experiment" is probably quite a stretch.... therefore, it was a red flag to me that is is officially being described this way.  <---

An article I read in the Everett Herald  explained the experiment and its controls. http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130723/NEWS03/707239876/0/SEARCH

From the article:  Each study area will be divided in two, with half serving as a control
with no barred owl hunting. Scientists will see if spotted owls move
back into areas where barred owls have been killed. The four study areas add up to 1,207 square miles, which amounts to 0.05 percent of the
northern spotted owl's range.

Bill Anderson; Edmonds, WA.