[Tweeters] Do you think it's possible to teach Sharpies to catch rats?

Ed Swan edswan at centurytel.net
Fri Jul 26 20:59:32 PDT 2013

We have two to three young Sharp-shinned Hawks in the woods next to our
house and chicken coop and unfortunately rats coming to get spilled feed. I
wish there was a way to get the Sharpies to go after the rats.

Instead they are going after the chickens. Our Rhode Island Reds are about
2-3 times the size and weight of the young Sharpies who keep swooping down
on the chickens as they walk across the lawn. When the Sharpies gets in
close they don't know what to do with the big loud irritated chickens. They
circle around and then head back to the trees. Some chickens fly into the
bushes and others just face off with the hawks.

Ed Swan

Guide

Birding Vashon Island and Beyond

206.463.7976