[Tweeters] Feds Advance Plan to Kill Barred Owls in Northwest

Randy Robinson rwr.personal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 14:14:18 PDT 2013

>From the New York Times. Not sure if you need to subscribe to view this:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/07/23/us/ap-us-owl-vs-owl.html?hp&_r=0

Quick summary: at a cost of $3m, over the next 4 years, USF&W will kill
3,603 Barred Owls in WA, OR, ID & CA, beginning this fall.

USF&W: "If we don't manage barred owls, the probability of recovering the
spotted owl goes down significantly."

Portland Audubon: "To move forward with killing barred owls without
addressing the fundamental cause of spotted owl declines [habitat loss],
from our perspective, is not acceptable."

Randy Robinson
Seattle, WA