[Tweeters] Port Susan Purple Martins & Shorebirds

Marcus Roening Marcus.D.Roening at gsk.com
Tue Jul 23 10:50:52 PDT 2013

Hi Tweets,

Time for the Warm Beach cabin summer report, located at the mouth of the Stillaguamish River in the NE corner of Port Susan Bay.

The notable negative change was that the ospreys that have nested on the pilings in the past decade weren't in evidence this year.

But in their place on the pilings (or more correctly inside), were two pairs of Purple Martins! They were actively bringing large dragonflies to the nest hole, so I expect the count to increase by next weekend.

The other new addition to the checklist was an Eurasian Collared-Dove. It will be interesting to see if there is a change in the small flock of Band-tailed Pigeons (30-40 range over the past decade) with the dove's arrival.

Shorebird migration is in full swing. My normal census is at high tide by kayak on the half-submerged logs at the mouth of the river, but the timing of the tides weren't in alignment. So I had to settle for a beautiful days of hiking the mudflats and enjoying seeing from Mt. rainier to Mt. Baker instead.

Shorebirds see in the past two days on the flats:
22 Greater Yellowlegs
1. Lesser Yellowlegs
7. Semipalmated Plovers
36 Killdeer