[Tweeters] Additional Interesting bird Behavior-Fearless Western Kingbird

notcalm at comcast.net notcalm at comcast.net
Tue Jul 16 00:59:16 PDT 2013

Tweeters,

I was in Eastern WA a few weeks ago and had been observing Western Kingbird activity. I always enjoy their activities and interactions. I have heard stories and seen photos of kingbirds chasing and even riding bird of prey, including Red-tailed Hawks.

After sunset, I returned to my car and watched a Great Horned Owl sail by and in the direction of the kingbird nest tree.
Neat sighting of a log, silent, nearly flat glide. About five minutes later the owl retraced its path flapping and at a higher rate of speed with a Western Kingbird chasing, than riding the owl's back.
Impressively fearless.

Dan Reiff
Mercer Island