[Tweeters] one more dragonfly message

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 13 16:37:29 PDT 2013

Hello, tweets.

For those interested in or might be interested in dragonflies, if you can't get to the Quincy Lakes WMA, try the easternmost pond (adjacent to L. Washington) at Magnuson Park. It was absolutely alive with Odonata this afternoon, almost deserving the same superlatives I gave Quincy Lakes and surely the most dragonflies I have ever seen at one time in Seattle. Go at midday, between 10 am and 3 pm, for the most activity. And of course it has to be sunny. I saw 13 species in an hour, but it was the sheer abundance that was so impressive.

Also, a !@#$%^& Cedar Waxwing that I was photographing flew 40-50' from its perch to snag a teneral (just emerged) damselfly that I could have barely seen with binoculars. The big damselflies that are now emerging at Magnuson are California Spreadwings, a more southerly species that was probably introduced there as eggs in all the planted willow trees.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle, Wash.