[Tweeters] What's the Seattle Martin report?

Ed Newbold ednewbold1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 12 19:08:24 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I can't get into the archives for some reason and I might be wrong but I've been watching Tweeters and I don't think there's been any reports on how the PURPLE MARTINS are doing in their traditional sites in the Seattle area (Thx for all other Martin reports including the exciting one from Joint Base.)

If anyone knows anything, I believe the spirit of KEVIN LI would be happy that the info was out on Tweeters.  I'll let my pessimistic inclinations jump to their normal conclusions if nothing is posted.

Also, last summer we went over to VASHON and Purple Martins seemed to own the island, perhaps thanks are due to Ed Swan and others there, and I wonder how they are doing there and in other places on Kitsap and perhaps places like English Boom also.

Thanks all,

Ed Newbold  ednewbold1 at yahoo.com  Beacon Hill Seattle

PS   BARN SWALLOWS in our neighborhood fledged a big brood on July 9 a full 14 days earlier than on the same site in 2010 with its cold spring.  I wonder if some Barn parents might try to double-clutch this year, finally.  If any do they might want a supply of mud so it might be a good time to put out a MUD BASIN if there's Barns around.  Mud can be tough to find in the urban zone once the drought starts, I would think.

PPS.  Speaking not of droughts, this could be a good year to think about visiting SOUTHEAST ARIZONA as the rainy season there seems to be off to a fantastic start.  The rain gauge we watch closely, in the Peloncillo Mts, has 4 inches since the 1st of July for the 3rd best start to the rainy season in 38 years,  ditto Douglas AZ and I think Portal, although rains in the area are unpredictably geographically variable to a fault.  Keeping fingers crossed as usual.