[Tweeters] In the company of Juveniles ... birds, that is

A & S Hill 60stops2home at kalama.com
Thu Jul 11 12:51:01 PDT 2013

During Thursday's drudgery of ripping out "tons" of invasive ornamental
plants left by the previous owner of our house, I was - as usual -
distracted by the birds. After some time, they decided I could safely be
ignored and returned to forage the spots I had just disturbed. Some
fast-moving little peepers caught my eye. Much to my surprise and glee, they
were a pair of juvenile BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS! I watched them for
several minutes, all the while wishing I had my camera handy. I didn't.

When the little babes temporarily hopped back into the canopy, I carefully
retrieved said camera from the house (yes, dear, I DID wear my dirty boots
inside, but only on the bare floor - hee hee). I stood behind my
propane-grill photo blind and waited. In short order, the kids were back.
One was kind enough to pose. This is one of three posted shots on my flickr
page: http://flic.kr/p/f7HvcA .

At one point, these two apparent siblings hopped into the potted tree next
to me, where one started begging from the other. This tree, I might add, was
less than 18 inches from my left elbow. Too bad a long lens can't focus at
that range. All I could do was enjoy the moment and thank my lucky stars for
the opportunity. Oh yeah.

The shots are a little soft. After I took them, I realized I had forgotten
to reset the image stabilization button from some night photography last
month.

Since I was feeling so happy with the little Warblers, I waited a couple
minutes more and was rewarded with a male BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK
http://flic.kr/p/f7Hzgm and a juvenile of the same http://flic.kr/p/f7tgKT .
I can't be sure, but it kind of looks like the youngster may have some
strawberry stain on the lower mandible. There are many strawberries running
wild across the mulch in our back yard. I've left them there because the
birds love them.

Happy Thursday!

Amy Hill

Kalama, Washington