[Tweeters] Hooded Warbler habitat

Andy Stepniewski steppie at nwinfo.net
Thu Jul 11 12:31:02 PDT 2013

Tweetrs,

July 7, we made a quick stop on our trip back to Yakima from a long weekend
in Victoria and walked the lower Cape Horn Trail and heard the heard thw
HOODED WARBLER singing at 6 pm.

I surveyed the forest structure this vagrant has chosen for his quite
out-of-range territory: a tall forest (conifer here) with a well-developed
understory component of tall shrubs (elderberry) and small-to-medium height
trees (mostly vine maple but some hazelnut). The warbler sang, while we were
there, from the tops of the understory component. From Dunn and Garrett's
Peterson Field Guide to Warblers (1997. Houghton Mifflin), the species
account states: "Breeds in both upland and bottomland woodlands, the key
habitat features being the presence of a well-developed shrubby understory
beneath extensive mature, shaded forests. Such habitats especially occur
along streambottoms and ravines..." It appears the Cape Horn Hooded Warbler
is spot on on its choice of microhabitat. Unfortunately, the nearest
potential mate may be a couple thousand miles away in easternmost Nebraska,
according to the map in the warbler guide.

Andy and Ellen Stepniewski
Wapato WA
steppie at nwinfo.net