[Tweeters] Birding the Cascade Creek Burn (Skamania County)

David Irons davidirons20 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 7 14:33:58 PDT 2013

Greetings All,

Yesterday, Shawneen Finnegan and I strayed across the Columbia River and joined Jim Danzenbaker and Ann Nightingale for a day of birding in Skamania County, Washington. We started by looking for the Hooded Warbler found along the Cape Horn trail on 4th of July, which we heard sing about a thousand times (or seemingly so) over two hours, but never saw. Eschewing our original plan to go back to Oregon to look for woodpeckers in the Cooper Spur Burn on the n. side of Mt. Hood, we opted (after talking to Eric Bjorkman) to check out the recent burn on the south slopes of Mt. Adams.

Year one after a fire is generally not as good as subsequent years, but we enjoyed an entertaining day nevertheless. I just posted a blog and site guide piece about the Cascade Creek Burn on the BirdFellow.com  online journal (link below). Included in the piece is a link to a Google Map that I created for the area. I suspect that over the next few summer this will be a must-visit spot for PNW birders intent on seeing lots of woodpeckers.

http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/2013/07/07/in_the_wake_of_fire_cascade_creek_burn_site_guide

Dave Irons
Portland, OR