[Tweeters] Chambers Bay Beach Closure

Teresa Michelsen teresa at avocetconsulting.com
Sat Jul 6 09:39:33 PDT 2013

Pilings leach creosote throughout their entire life spans, particularly when
they start to decay. The Department of Ecology recently did a study that
showed that creosoted pilings and other creosoted structures around Puget
Sound were responsible for some 30% of the toxic hydrocarbons still entering
the Sound, second only to wood stove emissions. Here are some references if
you want to read more about it:

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/SummaryPages/1103055.html
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20111108/news01/711089878
http://www.sanjuans.org/documents/4-2CreosoteFlyer_small.pdf

A similar initiative in San Francisco Bay:
http://www.sfei.org/documents/creosote

These pilings do provide habitat, but can be replaced with less toxic
alternatives. The impacts to birds from the creosote are not great, but the
impacts to fish and shellfish, especially during spawning, are significant.

Teresa Michelsen
Olympia, WA