[Tweeters] Blewett BBS, 2013

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Thu Jul 4 13:30:07 PDT 2013

This past weekend, Sharon Aagard and I completed the Blewett Breeding Bird Survey, the second year we have done so. This route starts at the Liberty turn-off from Hwy 97, meanders north before crossing 97 onto the old Blewett Pass Hwy, finishing at Scotty Creek just before rejoining Hwy 97 again..

Two data points do not make a trend but this year was notable for the reduced number of species, compared to last year--44 vs. 53--and a reduction in total individuals--811 vs. 1094. Several stops in the middle of the route are at the western edge of last year's Table Mountain Fire area which may have had some impact on populations. At least one of the two Williamson's Sapsucker nest holes we observed last year was damaged; our count of this species this year was reduced as a probable result. On the other hand, we saw a Black-backed Woodpecker near one of our stops on our scouting trip the day before the survey, although it was not in burned trees. In the same location, also on our scout day, we saw a pair of Hairy Woodpeckers in partially burned trees.

While camping between the scout and survey days, we had a pair of Great Horned Owls, a booming Ruffed Grouse (at 9:45 pm!), several Common Nighthawks, and a pair of Williamson's Sapsuckers feeding a noisy brood.

Some interesting total counts this year (2012 counts in parentheses):
Turkey Vulture 1 (8)
Western Wood-Pewee 37 (64)
Hammond's Flycatcher 21 (20)
Cassin's Vireo 13 (10)