[Tweeters] Common vs Barrow's Goldeneye females

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Mon Jul 1 20:16:49 PDT 2013

Hello all from MerryLynn,
Mike and I led a field trip to Beaver Lake area for the WOS conference - enjoyed great views of goldeneye females with young. We called these birds Common based on black bills and sloped foreheads - but have learned that females in June can be VERY hard to tell apart - just read Sibley's online guide. I sent pictures to Brad and he says one is Barrow's for sure and the other is a maybe. We don't have experience with these birds in June - so for those on our field trip you might want to change your sighting to Barrow's.
Wouldn't it be nice if the males stuck around?!