[Tweeters] Clarkston Gull ID Confirmed as Iceland Gull (kumliens)

Keith Carlson kec201814 at cableone.net
Thu Feb 28 07:15:37 PST 2013

Thanks to all who responded and commented on yesterday's request for ID help on the gull that has been present at Swallows Park for the last ten days or so.

I am happy to report that the initial E Bird reports from Terry Gray, Kirsten Dahl and myself have been confirmed by Washington E Bird reviewers as an Iceland Gull (kumliens sub-species).

For those that might come down our way to try and see this lovely gull, a couple of hints:
1. It has been seen at the very South end of Swallows Park Marina resting on the mud/sand bar.
2. It is difficult to pick out of the crowd ( 200 +/-) resting gulls. Be patient. The best way I have found is to keep glassing the resting birds and look for adults without black wingtips and with pink legs. Most of the gulls are California or Ring- billed adults.
3. There is also a 1st year Iceland Gull around that was seen 22 Feb by Mike Clarke, so check all tan, 1st Winter birds.
4. Herring, Thayer's and Glaucous-winged Gulls have also been present in the valley.

Other Valley hotspots for gulls can be on the Clearwater River East of Lewiston on the gravel bars upstream from Clearwater Paper
The Asotin County Landfill (closed Sundays)
Three Mile Rapids on the Snake River 3 miles South of Asotin.

If anyone can pick a Mew Gull out of all the Ring-billed Gulls, let me know as we do not yet have one on the Asotin County list.

Keith E. Carlson
Lewiston