[Tweeters] Citrine Wagtail - dipped on it, again

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Mon Feb 25 18:56:35 PST 2013

Tweeters,
The gorgeous weather this morning and a sunny, but windy afternoon failed to yield the (now) elusive Citrine Wagtail. I spent 7 hours at two different sites here in Courtenay / Comox with no sight of nor sound from the bird. At least I managed to have a good conversation with a local photographer, Tony, mostly about our navy (Canadian and US) experiences.

We also chatted with Fernando, a native of Portugal, whose property abuts the Ducks Unlimited area where the wagtail was also seen. Nice folks. Fernando built his home directly across from the viewpoint that overlooks the estuary, although his home likely predates the overlook structure.

Looking at the habitat in the field next to Fernando's home, I would think it unlikely that the wagtail forages there now because it's very dry and others I've talked with today agree. The bird seems to mostly forage on invertebrates at the edge of visible water, and the other area lacks this, at least now.

Speaking of water, when I visited this area on Boxing Day, I had to wade in the road-lots of standing water almost 18-inches deep. That's mostly gone with some mud remaining.

A better place to see the bird might be the field to the south (?) or east of the piles of slash in the "usual" spot. This is accessed via the two planks that span the ditch. That's where the bird flew from the other day and it's where another local photographer saw the bird recently. (This field is also private property, but can be scanned from the edge of the field.

While it's likely to rain tomorrow, I'm sticking around, for at least another day. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Note: lots of ducks, Trumpeter Swans, and
Greater white-fronted Geese in and over the fields.

May all your birds be identified,
Denis DeSilvis
avnacrs4birds at outlook.com

Sent from my Windows Phone