[Tweeters] Tufted Duck & Others

Vincent Lucas vincentlucas5 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 10:32:16 PST 2013

Yesterday, 02/24/2013, I traveled from Sequim down to Olympia where I met
up with Amit Kulkami. Together we drove down to the Camas area in Clark
County for the continuing Tufted Duck at Fallen Leaf Lake. We found it
readily as there already were two folks digiscoping it from the lank bank.
What a beautiful duck! It was a lifer for Amit, a Washington state bird for
me and only my second or third sighting of this species as I recall. I saw
my first one on the shores of Lake Erie in Ohio back in the mid-90's and
that was a juvenile. This one had a mullet that would make any South
Florida redneck jealous. I can say that because I lived there, too! Anyway,
great bird! From there, we ventured up to Ridgefield NWR where we dipped on
the Black Phoebe for Amit. I'd seen it there on other trips and I see
someone else saw it yesterday per eBird. We did find some nice birds
including a handsome Lincoln's Sparrow and many Tree Swallows. Western
Scrub-Jays are cool too, since I don't see them up here in the Olympic
Peninsula. We ended our day at Woodland Bottoms in Cowlitz County where we
readily found Amit's desired Red-shouldered Hawk on a telephone line at the
intersection of Caples Rd and Vista Dr.in Woodland. I've seen a few at
Ridgefield before and I'm always stunned at how different this
race/subspecies looks from the extremely "pale" RSHAs I'm accustomed to
seeing in south Florida. The scientific name for those birds are Buteo
lineatus extimus and Buteo lineatus alleni. Many birders who see these
hawks in south Florida are often confused at what they're seeing because of
the drastically different coloration of these birds.

--
Vincent Lucas
Sequim, WA
vincentlucas5 at gmail.com