[Tweeters] update on Ballard Snowy Owl

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Wed Feb 20 12:43:50 PST 2013

It's still worth a visit to the area near Sunset Hill Park in Ballard, to look for the Snowy Owl that remains (the other hasn't been seen, to my knowledge, in the past few weeks). Two people I know have reported seeing one (Mon. and Tues. between 4 and 6 p.m.), roosting in various trees and on an occasional roof, and then moving toward, and sometimes landing on, the usual tall, crooked-trunked conifer at the south end of the park, that it uses as it's final stop before it heads down the hill to the waterfront to hunt.

It's still a thrill to see this white wonder float silently toward a destination tree or to witness its large form sitting on a tree branch, often embedded inside many branches (a 'sticky' setting), eyes closed or seeming to squint (not always due to the sun's glare !) with it's head doing the occasional 270 (or less) swivel.

Enjoy!

Barb Deihl

North Matthews Beach - NE Seattle

barbdeihl at comcast.net