[Tweeters] WOS Okanogan Highlands/Waterville Plateau Field Trip 2nd day.

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 22:58:06 PST 2013

Hi Tweets,

another fun day for our WOS Field Trip.

Highlights:

12 Sharp-tailed Grouse flew into the tops of water birch trees to feed
along Foster Creek in the Wells Wildlife Area on Bridgeport Hill Road at
8am. Wonderful lighting while watching the grouse delicately land and
forage catkins in the tops of red branched trees.

700 Bohemian Waxwing roosting in Poplars along Crane Orchard Rd on our way
to Central Ferry Canyon just south of Brewster.

2 Black-backed Woodpeckers at Packwood Cemetery, one viewed at 150 feet by
all drumming on a recently burned Ponderosa Pine Tree. A Northern
Pygmy-Owl intermittently distracted us with it's hooting, unfortunately we
could not visualize the owl. We were not able to relocate the American
Three-toed Woodpecker I saw in the area 2 weeks previously.

2 Great Horned Owls, with the female sitting on a nest, where 24th Rd NW
(Central Ferry Canyon Rd) turns south into N Division Rd NW.

1 Gyrfalcon seen at significant distance near 20 Rd NW and N Division Rd NW
driving from the top of Central Ferry Canyon to 172 on the plateau.

1 Snow Goose flying around the Columbia River just south of the Beebe
Bridge. Unfortunately we were not able to relocate the Arctic Loon
reported a few days ago, but I was fooled by a Common Loon with white sides
until I was able to get my scope on the bird and see the white neck band.

3 Northern Saw-Whet Owls in Bridgeport State Park.

More on our to go home day tomorrow, happy birding!

Ruth Sullivan and Shep Thorp
sthorp at theaec.com
253-370-3742