[Tweeters] Okanogan Highlights

Scott Carpenter slcarpenter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 20:48:46 PST 2013

On Saturday, February 16, I came across a BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER at
Packwood Cemetery (up Central Ferry Canyon Rd in Douglas County). I was
alerted to its presence by its distinctive drumming and contact call.

Also on Saturday, I encountered 4 SNOWY OWLS in the Timentwa Flat region of
Okanogan County. Heading north on Cameron Lake Road from Hwy 97, I
encountered 3 SNOWY OWLS along Cameron Lake Road at the following
distances: (1) 7.0 miles -- the bird was south of the road at the 90
degree turn to the north; it flew from the top of a big rock to a low
perch, and remained on this low perch when I left; (2) 8.4 miles -- the
bird flew from a utility pole as I approached and landed on a very low
perch and stayed there as I left; (3) 10.2 miles - the bird was on a low
perch, and remained there when Ieft. The fourth SNOWY OWL was on Timentwa
Road, about 2.8 miles east of Cameron Lake Road; like the others, it
remained on its perch as I left. I initially overlooked the third owl, and
am left wondering how many others I might have missed. All four birds were
relatively dark.

On Sunday, February 17, I came across a flock of 12 PINE GROSBEAKS (and 4
Bohemian Waxwings) along Fisher Rd just west of Hwy 97. Fisher Rd can be
accessed via the McLaughlin Canyon exit, where Hwy 97 crosses the Okanogan
River just south of Tonasket. The PINE GROSBEAKS were perched in the top of
a deciduous tree visible from Hwy 97; this tree was in the yard of a home
along the north side of Fisher Road. I also encountered 5-6 PINE GROSBEAKS
with a flock of 50+ Common Redpolls along Nealey Rd southwest of Chesaw. I
believe Stefan Schlick, Dwight Porter, Michael Fleming, and Larry (not sure
of his last name) saw the same flock, grosbeaks and all, in roughly the
same location.

I was in Conconully from 8:00 am until 9:30 am on Sunday, and repeatedly
saw 2 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS. I returned in the late afternoon and found
no crossbills of any kind.

--
Scott Carpenter
Portland, Oregon