[Tweeters] Larsen Lake Redpolls, Bellevue

Pterodroma at aol.com Pterodroma at aol.com
Thu Feb 14 16:24:34 PST 2013

The Larsen Lake Common Redpolls (15-25) remain firmly anchored in the
10-tree birch grove at the trail fork, southeast side of the lake (Lake Hills
Greenbelt, Bellevue). Birders apparently came and went all day long, I
think none leaving disappointed other than maybe no Hoary (I haven't heard
otherwise). I looped around the lake between 1330-1430, Redpolls sighted
instantly in the SE grove, and no action at all at the single tall birch up at
the NE corner during my quick pass by there. As I was leaving, there was a
flurry of flight by some, and 6-8 dropped to the ground to drink from the
winter permanent rain puddles there. First time I've seen any of them on or
near the ground during this whole episode, but the views there against the
dark black earth were quite stunning and colorful. Not required, but a
spotting scope is especially useful and highly recommended for when the birds
are high up in the birches and pitted against the bright gray-white
overcast skies.

Otherwise, the walk-about was predictably quiet for an early-mid afternoon
jaunt. The hybrid male Eurasian X American Wigeon continues along the
north lake shore west of the observation platform in the company of ~15
American. 2.0hrs, 35 species.

Richard Rowlett
Bellevue (Eastgate), WA
Pterodroma AT aol.com